Monday, July 13, 2009

Isochrones

Finishing up from last week, I made gray-scale RA-Dec density plots, hess-style. Also considering going back to cutting out some of the faintest blue objects.

With some new direction on how to proceed in looking at the distributions of the GOODS stars, I set out with it in mind to select out the disk vs halo stars into two groups. Using our brains for this, I started with an isochrone generated online to check where on the Trilegal model it would fall. I had to convert it from Absolute to Apparent magnitude, using 20kpc as the distance. I was pleased to find that the curve fell along the stars in my hess diagram.

Next is to use magnitude and color limits to pick out the groups of stars and check out their distributions for any kind of structure or randomness.

1 comment: