Friday, July 24, 2009

GOODS to COSMOS

So, now that I've finished up my analysis of my GOODS Stars, here are my conclusions:

The spatial distribution of the stars in the GOODS fields, both as a whole and the halo stars alone, is statistically random, showing no significant structures or streaming. To me this means one of two things, or more likely a combination thereof:
a) the stars were formed in the disk and somehow randomized and ejected into the halo
b) the stars are from Milky Way satellites, but the accretion event was so long ago that the tidal streams have settled.

I think (b) could probably account for most of them. I suppose there could be ways of telling, with metallicity or something else, which is the origin of these stars, should that be desired.

Anyway, I've written my results and conclusions up in my paper, and I'm just fine-tuning it now.

I'm moving on to (attempt to) run my process on another set of data, COSMOS- which as far as I can tell has over 1.1 million objects in it... much much larger that GOODS. Thus far it has been an unfruitful attempt, with numerous obstacles in the way of actually obtaining a readable file and getting IDL to process it. I don't know who structured their catalog, but they have made it really inaccessible by writing in the RA and Dec not in decimal form, so much of my difficulty has been getting those columns.

More work on COSMOS to be continued throughout next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment