Friday, July 10, 2009

Enough of this stuff, It's Friday, I'm in love

Yep, it's Friday. And I like that song. ^_^

So, with my nice new star catalogs, as of this morning I have:
1) made RA-Dec plots
2) made CMDs
3) made a histogram of the distribution of apparent magnitudes
4) done the above for the Besancon Model catalog for comparison

The N and S catalogs have 1151 and 1175 stars in them, respectively. In the RA-Dec plots their distribution appears pretty homogeneous across the fields. About 35% of the stars are magnitude 26.5 or brighter, and these have overall the same kind of random distribution, but with some odd voids in areas. (In the future- may consider a random coordinates generator to see the probabilities of distributions, to see if these voids are significant.)
The magnitude distribution of the model is of a similar shape, but with more evenly increasing numbers the fainter the stars, rather than the leap in numbers from brighter to fainter in the GOODS stars.

This afternoon I did a lot:
I started using the Trilegal model as another comparison for a star catalog.
I also learned how to make a Hess diagram, and with a little help from code from Alex and some of Dylan's work, I got it to work by the end of the day.

Further project direction Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment